We are in the time of year that sparks noses to run and eyes to water, when the cause is not from a cold. That is right - it is hay fever season, which is usually at its worst in the UK between late March right through until September. This is due to the pollen count being at its highest here.
What Exactly Is Hay Fever?
Hay fever symptoms are caused by an allergic reaction most commonly to pollen, but this can also happen from mould, pet dander and insects.
Symptoms that occur most commonly include: an itchy nose, sore throat, sneezing, and facial congestion. People can also experience loss of smell, pain around the forehead and temples, headache and earache.
How to Tackle Hay Fever Naturally
Over the counter anti-histamine drugs are often the first port of call for people suffering from hay fever. However, nature has provided us with lots of ways to tackle hay fever naturally that come with fewer side effects. Some great natural options include:
- Nettle (or Nettle Tea) - Research shows this herb may be beneficial due to its anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Ephedra (Ephedra sinica) - Studies show this herb may be useful for conditions relating to the respiratory system, which hay fever mostly affects.
- Quercetin - This natural antioxidant found in certain foods has been found to show anti-histamine effects in many studies.
- Bromelain - This enzyme found in certain foods has shown to be effective in multiple studies at helping to reduce symptoms of respiratory distress and inflammation that is linked to allergies.
- Selenium - This mineral has been shown to reduce hay fever in certain studies by increasing glutathione peroxidase levels in the body, which goes on to help detox excess histamine levels allergies can cause.
- Zinc - Another useful mineral that this time works to strengthen the mucous membranes and helps them to stop foreign proteins (found in pollen and food) from entering and reducing the spread of inflammation.
Beat Hay Fever by Supporting the Immune System
The general goal when using the above prescription herbs is to support the immune system in doing its job to protect the body from foreign proteins that can disrupt its function. Which can then lead on to the annoying symptoms of hay fever! If you are unsure what herbs and/or nutritional supplements to take for your hay fever symptoms, please send your queries to me by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.