Did you know that endocrinology was practiced as far back as 2,000 years ago by Traditional Chinese Healers? Even 2,000 years ago, the importance of keeping this body system healthy was recognized.
Want to learn more interesting facts about our endocrine system? Here are 3 more facts to help you learn more about this amazing body system:
- Alcohol can negatively affect the endocrine system by impairing blood-sugar regulation.
- Stress causes the endocrine system to be kicked into high-gear. Hormones are secreted at higher levels to help the body adapt to the stress, but long-term stress can impair the endocrine system.
- Endocrine disorders can cause osteoporosis due to low levels of estrogen which helps to regulate bone mass.
The endocrine system is made up of glands that produce as well as secrete hormones that help to regulate the metabolism, the body’s growth as well as sexual development and function.
Some of the hormones you may be familiar with include thyroid hormones, cortisol, as well as estrogen, and testosterone. These hormones are essential for overall balance.
Here are some tips on keeping the endocrine system healthy:
Tip #1: Cut Out Dairy
Dairy can be very hard on our body’s hormones. Dairy products contain lot’s of natural hormones as well as synthetic hormones if you aren’t buying organic. These hormones mixed with your own can cause chaos in the body. Skip the dairy and try dairy-free milk options such as coconut and almond milk.
Tip #2: Try Brazil Nuts
Just a couple of Brazil nuts per day will get you your recommended requirement of selenium. The body needs selenium to convert T3 to T4 so without enough, the thyroid suffers.
Tip #3: Try Holy Basil Tea
Holy basil has been shown to have some impressive calming benefits helping to reduce anxiety and ultimately reduce cortisol levels. Try sipping on a cup of holy basil tea instead of black tea to calm your mind and support your endocrine system.
For this week’s challenge, I challenge you to incorporate some endocrine system protocols into your week.
- Eliminate dairy
- Reduce caffeine
- Cut back on sugar
- Switch to hormone free animal products
- Practice yoga or meditation daily
- Try holy basil tea
- Get some daily gentle exercise into your day